Submitted on 6/13/2016 by John for Latin week (week starting 6/19/2016)
Author bio: Contributing Author for JaquesKitchen.com
Recipe country of origin Mexico
Description: Mole’ is a traditional Mexican dish. It is made with an interesting and delicious combination of chili and chocolate. This dish is ideal for a slow cooker yielding a dark rich sauce of complex flavors that are irresistible.
1 large Yellow Onion, coarsely chopped
5 Garlic Cloves, peeled
2 14.5 ounce can Fire-Roasted Diced Tomatoes
¼ cup Raisins
1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
4 dried Ancho Chiles
1 teaspoon Mexican Oregano
4 Chipotle Chilies in Adobo Sauce
2 teaspoons Adobo Sauce (from the can of chilies)
4 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 cup Pepitas (raw pumpkin seeds)
12 Skinless Chicken Thighs
Freshly ground Black Pepper
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon sugar
- De-stem Ancho Chiles and place in warm water to rehydrate and soften
- Meanwhile, season all around the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and place them in the slow cooker.
- Drain the water from the Ancho Chiles (reserve water) place in a blender with all of the remaining ingredients and blend on high until you have a smooth consistency, about 1 to 2 minutes. Use reserved water from the Ancho chiles, if needed, to get the appropriate consistency.
- Pour the sauce into the crock pot thoroughly coating each piece of chicken
- Cook for about 8 hours on low (1/2 that time on high)
- Remove chicken from the crock pot, de-bone and shred the chicken, return chicken to the crock pot and mix with mole sauce.